As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases.

Is OxiClean Toxic? Is It Safe For Humans, Pets & Plants?

Researched and fact-checked by NicerAbode's editorial staff. Read our refreshed editorial policy here.

OxiClean is an American home cleaner brand that can be considered a staple in many households. It comes as a laundry additive, a household cleaner, and a spot stain remover.

As a brand, OxiClean first came into existence in 1997 and was owned by Orange Glo International till 2006. Currently, the product is marketed by Church & Dwight.

These days, OxiClean is mostly used as a laundry additive compared to the spot stain remover and the household cleaner. Its carefully concocted formula helps to clean fabrics better than other detergent alternatives. It is also a trusted brand in America, having earned it in the more than two decades that the brand has existed.

The main ingredient in OxiClean is Sodium Percarbonate, and the formula is a mixture of different ingredients and is perfect for laundry and cleaning. However, you also have to be careful while using OxiClean products since some of those ingredients can be harmful.

The surfactants used in OxiClean are found to be related with nausea, gastrointestinal, skin, and respiratory issues. Inflammatory issues are found to be strongly linked with OxiClean’s surfactants. While handling such products, you should take extra care to avoid inhaling or ingesting them accidentally.

Ingredients In OxiClean

The OxiClean formula for cleaning includes a mixture of ingredients. like sodium carbonate, sodium percarbonate, polymer, and surfactants. This mix deals with tough stains and penetrates the toughest fabrics.

In other words, it also contains an alternate version of hydrogen peroxide, which can also be called Oxygen Bleach. Oxygen bleach is much preferable to good old chlorine bleach and is also better in action.

OxiClean has no extreme or harsh chemicals; however, OxiClean’s surfactants can be harmful. Therefore, you should be careful if you have sensitive skin or are allergic to certain chemicals.

Is Oxiclean Toxic If Ingested

No cleaning product should ever be ingested or brought close to where there is a risk of ingestion. OxiClean has a fair warning on its packaging that it is harmful if swallowed.

The ingredients used in its formulation are modified specifically for cleaning purposes and not for anything else. Hence, it is crucial that you keep the bottle away from the reach of children in your house and also away from edible things to reduce risk.

If ingested, it can potentially cause nausea, diarrhea, and vomiting; along with inflammation in the respiratory and gastrointestinal systems.

Is Oxiclean Environmentally Friendly

OxiClean is, in fact, very environmentally friendly. It is referred to as ‘oxygen bleach’, a much better-trusted term than chlorine bleach which damages the fabric and fades out fabric colors too.

OxiClean mainly works to clean by breaking down into oxygen and water to tackle the dirt in your clothes. It primarily works via its active ingredient, hydrogen peroxide, and washing soda.

Hydrogen Peroxide is entirely safe and non-toxic, also not carcinogenic or a neurotoxin. Hence, you can be at ease and believe you are not harming the environment by using OxiClean.

is oxiclean toxic?
is oxiclean toxic?

Is Oxiclean Corrosive Or Poisonous

OxiClean’s formula can be damaging to metals. It is not advisable to dip a metal in an OxiClean solution or use a metal bowl to apply OxiClean to another place. OxiClean is highly damaging to metals and is very corrosive.

Also, OxiClean is harmful if swallowed, and, depending on the amount, it can also be lethal in some cases. It is also advised to avoid prolonged skin contact with OxiClean- use gloves to avoid such a situation.

Also, if some of the mixture gets into contact with your eyes by accident, rinse immediately with water for 15 minutes and contact a medical professional immediately.

What Do You Do If You Inhale Oxiclean

OxiClean fumes are generally considered non-toxic; however, if you have a sensitive nose, inhaling OxiClean might cause you difficulty breathing and irritation.

If you sense any difficulty after inhaling OxiClean, move away to where you can find fresh air. Stay there for at least a few minutes to lessen the irritation. If, however, the problem persists, go seek medical attention immediately.

Seek medical attention immediately if you have any chest discomfort or see any signs of an allergic response.

What Happens If You Leave Oxiclean On Too Long

OxiClean solution can be stored for spraying or applying to certain stains; however, you cannot leave the solution lying around for more than 6 hours.

In certain cases, the stored solution can build up pressure and the container may burst, potentially causing injury. All in all, it is advisable to mix only as much solution as is required and not leave excess lying around.

For a stain, you can spray or apply OxiClean and leave it on for as long as 5 minutes to a day, depending on the severity. However, be careful not to leave it on for more than 5 minutes on fabrics that are mild or get easily damaged.

Is Oxiclean Toxic to Babies? Is Oxiclean Toxic for Plants and Birds?

Oxiclean is very safe for babies, and OxiClean ingredients also pose no risk of developmental problems. It is also safe to use around lawns and not harmful to plants. Birds usually have delicate lungs that are sensitive to chlorine fumes; however, since Oxiclean is chlorine-free, it is also safe to use around birds.

Is Oxiclean Harmful To Septic Tanks

OxiClean is safe to use in septic systems as well. They break down into harmless ash-like compounds that clean out your tank well without damaging anything.

Are All Oxiclean Products Toxic? Are They Toxic For Cats And Dogs?

OxiClean products are all more or less the same formula. So they aren’t environmentally toxic or harmful if you use them well. OxiClean should be kept out of reach of pets, as it might cause skin issues on injured tissues, or even cause vomiting in pets if ingested.

TL;DR- Is Oxiclean Toxic

OxiClean is a trusted brand of cleaning products that can be considered a staple in households. However, its formula can be a little tricky if not handled with care.

It is not environmentally toxic or extremely harmful, however, the surfactants used in OxiClean can potentially cause inflammation in the body as well as nausea.

It is recommended to wear gloves if you have to handle the OxiClean mixture for a prolonged amount of time. Also, avoid bringing OxiClean in contact with pets.

You are here: