Is Kinetic Sand Toxic To Kids, Dogs, Or Cats?

There are so many quirky and cool toys that kids can play with these days. Every day there’s something new coming out or the other. If you want to add something fun to your kid’s playtime, kinetic sand could be a good option.

It’s something between regular sand and play-dough, its fun, and there are multiple ways it can be used so kids can become creative while playing. It’s also perfect for interactive play because the sand is fascinating to the touch and bout you, and the kids will have tons of fun exploring all the ways you can use it.

The sand is super easy to clean. It can be molded, it bends and can be cut. It’s a great way to activate sensory play with kids, and you can also use it to throw in a bit of science and learning into playtime by helping them understand why this sand is different from regular sand.

The sand is highly safe to use, and you don’t have to worry about the kids getting particles in their eyes. Also, the velvety texture of the sand makes it a great relaxation and calming tool.

But, if you’re having second thoughts about getting it because you’re wondering, “is kinetic sand toxic?” We’ve got you covered.

Kinetic sand is not toxic. Its ingredients make it safe to play with. However, its a different story when ingested. In addition to being a choking hazard, it may cause digestion issues when ingested in large quantities.

Let’s start with a quick view of how safe the kinetic sand is for kids and pets.

CategoryToxic?
KidsNo, but may cause digestive issues if ingested
DogsNo, but may cause digestive issues if ingested
CatsNo, but may cause digestive issues if ingested

Is Kinetic Sand Toxic to Kids?

This sensory toy is made from ultra-fine sand and silicone oil. Sand is not toxic, and you can find the oils that are added in solutions of diaper creams and other everyday household products. So, it is not a threat to kids.

However, if kids ingest it in large amounts, it will be a choking hazard and may cause constipation. There’s nothing toxic about the sand itself, but you should make sure the kids are supervised while they play with any type of toys that are ingestible to prevent accidents.

If you come across a situation where the sand has been ingested, you may need to visit the doctor just to be on the safe side. Chances are the chill will naturally pass the sand while emptying their bowels, but it’s better to be on the safer side of things.

is kinetic sand toxic?

Is Kinetic Sand Toxic to Animals?

Even though the sand is non-toxic to humans, it can be a catastrophe if your pets get their paws on the sand. While older children can differentiate between what is edible and not, a pet cannot tell the difference. If they see something that fascinates them and looks edible, they will gobble it up.

ALSO READ: Where to Get Balloons Filled With Helium?

Although there’s no threat of poisoning, the sand can end up being stagnant in the bowel system, and that will cause significant complications for your furry friends. This can be a major red flag, especially if your little friend has ingested a large amount of the sand. So, no, kinetic sand is not toxic to pets, but it is still not safe for animals.

Advantages and Disadvantages of Kinetic Sand

There are many benefits of introducing kinetic sand to kids. It’s a great toy that can be used for different kinds of play, and it can invigorate creative senses in both children and adults.

Advantages

  • The sand will not dry out and will last for a long time.
  • It’s a great tactile sensory toy for kids.
  • It can be used to relax hyperactive children.
  • The sand can be used in therapy.
  • It also helps children refine their fine motor skills development.

Disadvantages

  • It can get messy to clean if it’s no longer tactile. Otherwise, the sand particles stick to each other and will not be problematic.
  • There is a chance children may ingest the sand.

ALSO READ: Are Wallflowers Toxic? || Are Yankee Candles Safe For Dogs? || Get Human Hair Out Of Clothes

What is Kinetic Sand?

Kinetic sand is just sand that has been coated with silicone oils. This makes loose sand moldable, and it can maintain its structural integrity once shaped.

Once the sand has been tempered, it will have the texture of regular sand but will conform to any shape when pressure is applied. You can even break the sand but applying pressure to it.

This silicone oil converts the sand into a semi-solid, and when pressure is applied, the sand will turn into a smooth solid. Another unique property of kinetic sand is that it only sticks to each other and not on other surfaces.

This is quite unusual given that wet sand will get stuck to anything. This feature is excellent when you clean up after a long day of fun.

Uses of Kinetic sand

Since the sand is flexible, it has many unique uses:

  • The sand is primarily used for play and fun, and its pliable nature makes it great for kids. It can be used for burying objects in constructive play and social play.
  • The sand is used in sand therapy by therapists.
  • It can help calm restless children because of its tactile nature.
  • The sand is also prevalent in ASMR (Autonomous sensory meridian response) videos.

Wrapping Up

The benefits of having this excellent sensory toy outweigh the negatives. If you can spare time to play with your children, it is a must-add to their toy collection. You can help your children learn and improve their creative senses with this excellent tool.

References

https://www.poison.org/articles/what-if-my-child-eats-kinetic-sand-204

ALSO READ:

Can Party Hats Be Recycled? (+Epic Reuse Ideas)