From what I have personally experienced, building a new house requires a lot of decision-making when it comes to choosing furniture and décor brands. Because the furniture industry is a world in itself with a myriad collection of brands and companies, it becomes difficult to choose the ultimate one for your home.
When it comes to selecting a specific brand for window blinds, there are few prominent brands that pop up on the first page of a Google search. Most home builders often narrow down to two big brands – Hunter Douglas and Levolor.
The general consensus is that Hunter Douglas takes some of the wind out of Levolor’s sails. It provides a better warranty, and has a larger collection than Levolor. This doesn’t mean that Levolor isn’t worth looking into, though. They’re still a very respected brand at the end of the day.
So how do you choose between two exceptional designers? That’s what you’re here to find out. In this article, I’m going to try and make a comparison between these two competitors on the basis of their prices, features, durability, customer service and products.
Here’s a table for your reference at a quick glance:
|Features||Powerview, Motorization, Ultraglide, LiteRise cordless system, Duolite||Energy efficient, excellent light control, multiple lift controls, quality materials|
|Customer Service||Phone, Live Chat, How to Guides, Video Support||Phone, Email, Live Chat, Video Support|
|Designs||Woven Wood, Faux Wood and Wood, Cellular Shades, Vinyl Blinds, Fabric Blinds||Faux Wood and Wood Horizontal & Vertical Blinds, Mini Blinds, Roller Shades, Roman shades|
|Available on Amazon?||Only Spare Parts||Yes, check out collection at Amazon|
About Hunter Douglas
The Hunter Douglas Group is a huge brand that comprises 126 companies, 76 assembling units and 50 manufacturing facilities spread across 100 countries. Designed and manufactured in the U.S, Hunter Douglas creates quality blinds blended with the best technologies. Hunter Douglas is one of the most powerful competitors of window blinds in the niche market, given its highly customizable and technologically advanced products.
The only drawback of the company is the absence of an online store. Although the website provides enough information with ample description and pictures of the products, if you need to buy its products, you must visit the nearest store.
- Faux Wood and Wood Blinds – Rustic, classic and traditional blinds made of natural wood in numerous textures, colors and slat sizes.
- Aluminum – Sleek-looking and elegant blinds which offer the highest light control and are available in multiple colors, slat sizes and finishes.
- Woven Wood – Made with unique textured woven woods that add warmth to your room. A perfect choice for both modern and traditional interior design.
- Cellular Shades – For superior comfort and energy efficiency. Made with a unique honeycomb fabric structure. Comes in a wide collection of fabrics.
- Mini Blinds – Economical blinds ideal for office or home with excellent light control. Made with metal for maximum durability and easy maintenance.
- Vertical Blinds – Classic and functional blinds for patio doors and larger windows. Made with soft fabric in an s-shaped vinyl for privacy and superior light control.
- Child safety
- Voice Control
- Dual Fabric Construction
- No online store
Hunter Douglas – Worth Your Money?
Hunter Douglas falls into that category of brands that offers mind-blowing features like energy saving, stylish and versatile design, child-proof and sunproof. Therefore, I think the products from the brand are worth the money. After all, getting blinds that stand out, look great and last long is what matters at the end of the day.
Levolor is one of the top manufacturers of window covering products from America. It has been supplying blinds of multiple styles and designs in the United States, Mexican, Chinese and Canadian furniture stores since 1935. The hundred years of craftsmanship drive the unmatched service and quality of Levolor’s products.
Levolor, whose headquarters is in Atlanta, Georgia, is known best for custom window blinds. The products from Levolor have lasting durability because it rigorously tests all its products to make sure they meet the highest quality standards and remain durable for the longest time.
Levolor’s custom shades and motorized blinds add privacy to your life and windows that are hard to reach. The brand uses different materials to choose from, starting from real wood to faux wood, plastic horizontal vertical blinds, mini shutters, etc.
One of the best things that I like about Levolor is that they’ve made all their collection available on Amazon. This makes it very easy to shop around for the best blinds for your budget.
- Sheer Shades – Light control blind available in 72 fabrics with light-filtering and room-darkening options.
- Faux Wood Blinds – Humidity absorbing blinds for bathrooms, sunrooms and kitchen. Made of the best and durable hardwood.
- Wood Blinds – Perfect fit for any window with superior light control and privacy by eliminating all cord holes. Made with superior quality of real wood and unsurpassed texture.
- Banded Roller Shades – Ideal for dining rooms, studies and family rooms. These come in vibrant color palettes to match both subtle and bold tastes.
- Woven Wood – Created with organic woven materials and premium textured fabrics and like grass, jute and bamboo for a warm interior atmosphere.
- Roller Shades – Works well with both traditional and modern homes. Choose from a collection of fabrics up to 100 textures and colors. Come in multiple light controls with room darkening, blackout, light-filtering and no line options.
- Solar Shades – Great for blocking heat without any disturbance to your view. Made with dark solar fabrics that provide UV protection with motorized options.
- Roman Shades – Ideal for a luxurious and modern-looking house. Made with flat designs in an array of patterns, colors and textures. Features room-darkening, light-filtering, bottom-up and top-down privacy and light control.
- Guaranteed Fit
- Customization options
- Valuable Pricing
- Good Customer Ratings
- Less energy-efficient
- Fewer Designs than Hunter Douglas
Worth Your Money?
With blinds made in elegant design and the option to choose a large collection of stains, wood grains, and paint colors, Levolor offers an amazing price for its products. While some of Levolor’s products may come at a premium price range, most of them are quite affordable.
Who does it better?
- Cordless Blinds – Levolor’s cordless blinds are better in terms of light control.
- Honeycomb blinds – The Duette Honeycomb Shades by Hunter Douglas are beautiful and insulate the house all year round.
- Sheer shades – Hunter Douglas’ sheer shades are high-quality UV protecting shades with its best-in-class Silhouette and Pirouette window shadings.
- Vertical Blinds – Levolor’s vertical blinds are better than Hunter Douglas as it comes in 150 materials and colors.
- Window treatments – Overall, Hunter Douglas does amazing window treatments.
Does Hunter Douglas own Levolor?
In July 2016, Hunter Douglas finalized the acquisition of Kirsch windows and Levolor at a purchase price of $270 million. The acquisition became an exciting addition to Hunter Douglas’ existing portfolio and allowed the company to grow its position in the window covering market.
In addition, the acquisition allowed Hunter Douglas to better its services and meet the needs of every unique market segment and distribution channel.
After this extensive comparison, it is time to reveal which window blind brand won the battle. Although both the window blinds companies offer a large collection of impressive items for window treatment, my winning vote goes to Levolor, but only because Hunter Douglas does not provide an online shopping option.
Besides that, both have excellent quality blinds and shades, and it would have been a hard choice if Hunter Douglas had an online purchase option.