Let’s be honest. None of us would want to have mice in our homes. They’re dirty, carriers of pathogens, and also tend to leave droppings and eat your food.
For the longest time, people have domesticated cats to hunt these pests and deal with mice problems. But not everyone is in a position to keep cats at home.
However, in recent years, a product called d con has hit the markets. This is a mice poison that can easily kill any mice that come in contact with it.
So, does d con keep mice from stinking after it dies? Is it an effective product?
Well, if you’re here, you probably want answers to these questions. Fortunately, we have just the answers you’re looking for!
In this guide, I am going to tell you why d-con is effective and how you can safely use this at home to deal with mice. After all, you would not want mice running around inside your house.
Does D-Con Keep Mice From Stinking?
Yes, d-con prevents mice from stinking after they die. However, even though rodents do not leave an odor behind, they die in nooks and crannies of your house, so you would have to search them out and dispose of them before mice start rotting.
What Is D Con?
It’s perfectly normal not to know what d con is. It is a relatively new product.
For all those who are clueless, as I was as well, d con is a mice poison. It is basically a sort of bait that attracts the mice.
You can place the d con in the areas of your house where you suspect the mice to be hiding.
Here’s a tip for beginners. Look out for mice droppings in and around your house. The places where you find mice droppings are usually the places where they are hiding.
If you have no pets at home, you can leave d con out in the open as well.
But, if you have cats, dogs, or any other pets that roam around the house, you need to place the d con in small passages where your pets can’t access them. Do note that if ingested, d-con is toxic to cats, and toxic to dogs.
These products will lure the mice, and once in contact, the process will start.
In simple words, d con is supposed to attract mice to it, and once the mice in your house eat it, they’ll die in a while. And no, it will not leave any smell, as long as you dispose the mice right after it dies.
Here’s How D-Con Works
The first thing that will happen once a mouse comes in contact with d-con is that they’ll eat it. If you notice that the d-con you left out has been chewed, then you’re in luck. It won’t take long before you see results.
Once a mouse eats d-con, it’ll stop eating completely. This is because they are under the effects of lethal poison.
This poison attacks their feeding habits, and basically, the mice will starve. The ingredients present in the poison are such that it stops the mice from feeding, even on water.
So, does d-con make mice thirsty, or does d con dry up mice? Yes. Mice that have no access to water will ultimately die.
The mouse usually ends up in a narrow, small spot in its final moments.
So, don’t expect to find the dead mouse easily. You’re going to have to put in some effort and search for the bodies. Like everything that decays, the dead body of the mouse will also produce a foul smell, so be on the lookout for that.
How Quickly Does d-con Work?
Are you wondering how long does a mouse lives after eating d-con? The mouse will not die on the spot. Instead, depending on the amount of d-con it chewed, it can take anywhere from 12 hours to 2 days. Sometimes, it may even go up to 4 days.
Once the mice in your home chew on the pellets of d-con left out, they’ll walk back to their nest and stay there until they die. It’s also worth noting that they will not eat anything anymore, including the d-con.
ALSO READ: What Smells Like Cat Pee But Isn’t?
So, once you find that they’ve chewed the d-con, you can either choose to leave it there if you suspect more mice of being present in your house or simply remove it.
It is not a nice feeling knowing that you have a mice problem in your house. For many people, the very thought of having mice in their homes can be revolting.
But today, this is not a major problem, and unless there’s a whole colony of mice in your house, there’s no need to waste money and time on exterminators.
ALSO READ: Is Plaster of Paris Waterproof?
If you’re dealing only with a fair number of mice, then the best way to get rid of them is to use d con. Unfortunately, one of the downsides is the smell.
Once the rat dies, you’ll be left with a smell to clean. But hey, at least you’ll be getting rid of the mice.